Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

Worries

Maybe I haven't been keeping myself busy enough lately, or jogging enough to wear myself out (or drinking enough to quiet my mind), but I've been doing a lot of worrying about the future. I know that climate change is real (note word choice: know vs. believe), but don't really know how it might affect my life. I think the election this fall could have huge effects on our country for years to come, but haven't taken the time to educate myself nearly enough about what any of the candidates will actually try to accomplish (and anyway, I'm not entirely convinced that the American political system is capable of anything except helping people make money). I'm worried about peak oil. What will we do when we can't pump as much oil out of the ground as the world needs run the way we've been running? How will the world grow enough food without fertilizers which are derived from fossil fuels? Is this going to be a good time for oil companies (and their employees) as prices go up, or a bad time as supplies go down? Could the loss of a single resource actually be enough to change the way the whole world works? Will people actually do anything before its too late?

Combine these with the more mundane, or at least more personal, questions I have - when will I graduate? what will I do after grad school? what problems might arise when I move 4,000 miles to Alaska in the dead of winter and only know one person within 2,000 miles plus my job is still in Boston? - and its enough to keep me up at night.

Strangely, its not enough to get me out of bed in the morning, though...

No comments: