Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

This snow has gotten ridiculous...

I messed around with Beth's time-lapse camera while she and I were making sure our roof didn't collapse. I don't think we were in any imminent danger, but a couple of roofs have collapsed around town under the weight of this winter's near record snow. I had also started thinking that maybe the roof was fine with the current weight, but an otherwise minor earthquake could be the tipping point. Lo and behold, Beth was woken up by a quake barely 6 hours after I finished clearing the roof.

Step 2, after clearing the roof, was clearing the snow away from our house. The 7-foot-tall snow pile along the front of the house certainly added a lot of privacy, but it also blocked things like sunlight, the path to the driveway and the front door.

Maybe in a bit I'll round up some other pictures of the snow piles and some collapsed roofs from elsewhere in town. But in the meantime, enjoy this (with the volume on, of course).


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I love the time lapse look. But, what would have happened if you didn't do the shoveling and there was an earthquake?

Eric Moore said...

Probably nothing, but not definitely nothing.

They said in the paper the other day that the city's snowpack weighed about 20 pounds per square foot for each foot of depth. Given that we had about 2.5 feet of snow up there with about 1,000 feet of roof, thats 50,000 pounds of snow that I don't have to worry about anymore.

Anonymous said...

What I really like is the moment around 1:13 where it really looks as though you are engaging in some sort of horrible violence... Nice work!